Getting your pork belly crispy is a tricky thing to do correctly on the grill. In this crispy pork belly recipe you will learn the subtle technique of crisping your pork belly skin to perfection.
Crispy Pork Belly Recipe (Cracklins) Video Tutorial
You might have heard of many techniques, such as Liempo, Cracklin, Siu Yuk and Lechon, and this one shares many aspects, but is simpler to execute on the grill. You can make this both on the grill or in the oven, however we of course prefer the grill.
Ingredients for Crispy Pork Belly
- 500 gram (1 lb) pork belly
Dry rub mix ingredients
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Cure for the pork skin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
Crispy Pork Belly Step-by-step
1. Prepare the dry rub by mixing the ingredients. Also prepare the cure mix
2. Prepare the meat: Clean and dry the skin, then using the tip of a knife puncture small holes all over it. Score the pork belly about one finger deep.
3. Rub it with the dry rub. Make sure the rub reaches inside the cuts you made.
4. Brush the skin with the cure. Leave the pork belly in the fridge overnight or at least 8 hours.
5. Get your grill’s heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
6. Place the meat over indirect heat. Right after putting the meat over the fire, apply the cure once more.
7. When the meat is almost ready, place it over direct heat skin-down to get the skin to crisp. Putting more distance between the meat and the fire minimizes the chances of burning the skin.
8. The meat is ready when internal temperature reaches 154F or 68C. Be sure to use a high quality meat thermometer to properly manage your internal meat temperature because without one you’ll more than likely overcook or undercook your meat.
Recipes Related to Crispy Pork Belly (Cracklins)
Smoked Boston Butt Recipe (Smoked Pork Butt) Boston shoulder roast, shoulder butt, shoulder blade roast. Most of us know it by its most common name, the Boston Butt. In this guide you will find tips on making a great smoked Boston butt, from choosing the meat to serving it.
Backyard Smoked Pork Shoulder Recipe Smoked pork shoulder recipe – from the backyard of the legendary Danny McTurnan!