This home run of a pork belly sandwich recipe will take you through cooking your pork low and slow, proper slicing, masterful searing, and to finish off this sandwich with a mango salsa that was made in heaven. It’s such a simple cook that produces sweet and salty perfectly meaty sandwich that’ll have their mouths watering for more.
You will need
- 2 1⁄2 lbs Pork belly (skin on)
- 2 small French Baguettes
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 16 Tbsp (1 Cup) Bitter Orange
- 16 Tbsp (1 Cup) Pineapple Juice
- ½ medium Onion (minced)
- ½ Cup (8 Tbsp) Olive Oil
- 8 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 Mango (sliced & peeled)
- 1 Tbsp chopped Thai peppers (or to taste)
- ¼ Cup Red Onion (finely diced)
- A few sprigs of Green Pepper (chopped)
- ¼ Cup Cilantro Leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Salt & Pepper
Smoked & Seared Pork Belly Sandwich Recipe
Use a mortar and pestle, grind the garlic cloves, peppercorns, Mexican oregano and sea salt into a uniform mixture. Transfer it over into a small bowl, and add the bitter orange, pineapple juice, minced onion and olive oil. Mix all of the ingredients well.
Place the pork belly in a zip lock bag, and pour the marinade mixture in over it. Seal the zip lock bag, and move it around to spread the marinade all over the meat. Place the bag in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours (to overnight). It’s a good idea to place the bag in a container to avoid leaks in your fridge.
Set up your grill for two-zone (or indirect) grilling. Remove the pork belly from the marinade, and place it over indirect heat on the grill. Close the lid and smoke for ~5 hours.
When done, remove from the grill and wrap in tin foil. While the belly is resting, adjust the grill for grilling over direct heat. Slice the pork belly and remove the skin from each slice. Place a ceramic plate or cast iron skillet on the grill and grease with some oil, then sear the pork belly slices.
For the final part of this pork belly sandwich recipe, cut the baguette in half, and apply mayonnaise on both sides. Place pork belly slices on the bottom half, and top with mango salsa.
Exclusive Pitmaster Deals
Latest posts by Greg Mrvich (see all)
- Char Siu Ribs Recipe (Savory Chinese Style BBQ Ribs) - July 5, 2018
- Grilled Burger Recipe (The Mouthwatering Aussie Burger) - June 8, 2018
- Argentina Style Smash Burger Recipe (Mouth Watering) - May 20, 2018