Here’s how to make Salami at home, to use on a sandwich, or homemade pizza, or just eat it by itself because it’s that delicious! Using the Umai Dry© Sausage Casing pack makes life easier, and lets you enjoy home made salami in a few easy steps below…
Ingredients (for 2.2 lbs of pork shoulder)
- 28 g (5 tsp) Salt
- 2 g (1 tsp) Black pepper
- 1 g (½ tsp) Red pepper flakes
- 1 g (1 tsp) Whole peppercorns
- 1 g (½ tsp) Chili powder
- 1 g (½ tsp) Garlic powder
- 2.5 g (½ tsp) InstaCure #2 (Included in this Umai Sausage Kit)
- 12 g (2 tsp) Powdered dextrose (Included in this Umai Sausage Kit)
- 0.12 g (⅛ tsp) Bactoferm T-SPX Starter Culture (Included in this Umai Sausage Kit)
You will also need
How To Make Salami At Home
To begin, cut the pork shoulder into 1″-1½” cubes. Try to keep the meat as cool as possible during this process. Chill the meat before cutting and again before grinding, to get better particle definition and more even drying later on.
Mix the Instacure #2 and spices. If you have a food mill, use it to get a fine powder that will distribute evenly through the meat. Knead the spices/cure into the meat until it starts to stiffen.
Dissolve the T-SPX Starter Culture in 2 tbsp of distilled (or boiled then cooled water) to remove chlorine. Knead the liquid into the meat thoroughly.
Stuff the Umai Dry sausage casings using a stuffing horn. Try to avoid air pockets, while filling the casing with meat evenly and tightly. You do not have to do any moisturizing or pricking with the Umai Dry casings, but it is very important to avoid air pockets. Secure each “sausage” with the zip ties provided in the kit.
Tie the ends and hang it at room temperature (65-70°F) for 72 hours for the culture to work. Once the meat has fermented, place the meat in a fridge on an open wire rack for 3-6 weeks.
When the salami is ready, peel off the Umai Dry casing and slice the salami. The salami is ready to use on your sandwiches and homemade pizza!
Exclusive Pitmaster Gear
Latest posts by I Love Grilling Meat (see all)
- Smoked Lamb Shoulder Recipe (Lamb Shoulder Roast) - April 29, 2017
- Competition Brisket Recipe: Beef Brisket and Burnt Ends - April 28, 2017
- Wagyu Grilled Beef Ribs (Sweet Kalbi Style Sauce) - April 26, 2017