Jerk Chicken is delicious… and this step-by-step cook makes making it at home easy, tasty, and fun. It’s Jamaican with a spicy twist so if you haven’t tried it yet, you definitely should. Fire up your grill and follow these easy steps to make the best Jerk Chicken that you’ll ever taste!
How To Grill Jerk Chicken (Full Jerk Chicken Recipe)
Jerk Chicken is all about the marinade. To marinate 5 lbs of chicken you will need:
- 3-4 Green onions (diced)
- 1-2 Scotch bonnet peppers (very hot! add to taste)
- ¼ Cup Fresh lime juice (~3 limes)
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 tsp Cracked black pepper
- 1 Heaping Tbsp Jerk Seasoning
Place the above ingredients in a blender until you end up with a smooth, uniform mix.
Cut up the chicken and place the pieces in a large zip lock bag. Pour the marinade mix inside. Seal the bag with as little air inside as possible, and give it a good shake to make sure the marinade covers the chicken completely. Place the bag in a shallow dish and refrigerate for 4 hours minimum (or overnight).
Take the chicken out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before grilling, to let the pieces come up to room temp.
Have your grill preheated and set up for searing. Using lump charcoal is great for this, as it produces high heat that will sear off the chicken in just a few minutes.
Coat your cast iron skillet with some cooking oil to avoid sticking, and once it’s hot place the chicken pieces skin-side down for 2.5 to 3 minutes. Flip over for another 2.5 to 3 minutes. At this point you have given the chicken a perfect sear. Move the pieces off the skillet to your grill’s “cool zone” and let it cook for 30-40 minutes or until internal temp hits 165°F in the breast and 175°F in the thighs.
While the chicken is cooking, cease the opportunity to put together the final glaze. For this you will need:
- 3-4 Scallions (sliced thin)
- 3 Cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper (finely chopped- again, VERY hot, add to taste)
- 2 Limes (juiced)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme minced
- 1 Tbsp Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- ½ Cup ketchup
- ½ Cup pineapple juice
Mix all the ingredients in a blender. You might want to leave it a little chunky, your choice.
Glaze both sides of the chicken and let it caramelize for 10 more minutes. Once the glaze is set, you’re ready to plate and eat.
Exclusive Pitmaster Gear
Latest posts by I Love Grilling Meat (see all)
- Perfect Grilled Ribeye Steak (with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce) - August 19, 2017
- How To Cold Smoke Salmon To Perfection - August 16, 2017
- Perfectly Crispy Chicken Wings – Smoked & Deep Fried - August 9, 2017