This ghost pepper hot sauce is insane – a challenge even for those of us who love our hot sauces. So, are you ready to kick it up a notch? Watch the video and follow the instructions below to make your own ghost pepper hot sauce!
You will need:
- Ghost Chili peppers (quantity depending on desired hotness. 10 will be enough for a nice hot sauce. To go full inferno mode as shown in video, use 20-25 peppers.)
- 5 shallots, normal to medium sized.
- 2 heads of garlic (peeled)
- 6 sweet mini red chilies
- Canola oil
- Tomato paste (2 tbsp)
- White sugar (1/4 Cup)
- Bourbon (3 oz)
- Cider vinegar (1/2 Cup)
Homemade Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce Recipe
Step one: Fermenting the chilies
First slice the Ghost Chilies into round pieces. Leave the seeds in tact, as that’s where a lot of the spice comes from. Proceed to slice the sweet mini red chilies in half, removing the stem and seeds.
Use a large jar (in which you will ferment the ingredients) to add the shallots and garlic. Add the sliced ghost and sweet chilies.
Dissolve 2 teaspoons of salt in 3 cups of water. Pour the saltwater brine in the jar until everything is covered. Try to work out any air pockets. Cover the jar and let it ferment in a cool and dry place for 3 weeks.
Step two: Completing the sauce
After 3 weeks have passed, pour the contents of the jar into a blender and blend until there are no chunks of anything left.
Set up a pan, and heat up a little canola oil and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Pour the mix from your blender into the pan and bring it to a boil. Keep stirring while you add 1/4 cup of white sugar, and salt to taste. Let it simmer for a minute before adding 3 oz of Bourbon to the pan. Again, let the sauce simmer until it has the consistency you prefer.
Finally, move the sauce back onto the blender. Add 1/2 cup of Cider vinegar and blend while it is still hot.
Bottle the sauce immediately thereafter.
Exclusive Pitmaster Gear
Latest posts by White Thunder BBQ (see all)
- Easy Homemade Peach Chipotle BBQ Sauce Recipe - February 8, 2019
- How To Smoke Any Cheese At Home (Cold Smoked Cheese) - January 11, 2019
- Coffee Rubbed Brisket Recipe (For Rich Deep Beef Flavors) - November 10, 2018