If you have not yet attempted this mouth watering cook of baby back ribs Memphis style, then you’re in for a real treat with this recipe. These baby backs are seasoned then pit roasted to prime smokey perfection, the type of cook that will get their mouths watering instantly.
Baby Back Ribs Memphis Style
Get the temperature inside your pit up to 300º-350ºF, and stabilize it in that range.
This recipe is a bit unorthodox: except for the required trimming & cleaning up the ribs, they’re going on the pit “naked”, i.e. without any rub, seasoning or brining.
Place your baby back rib rack over direct heat, with the bone side down. Every 15 minutes or so, mist with a 50/50 mixture of water and cider vinegar. At the 45 minute mark, flip the rack over.
Keep misting every 15 minutes, until the ribs are done (when a thermometer probe goes in and out of the meat without resistance). Give the meat side a final mist, and remove from the heat.
Time to apply the rub! At The Rendezvous, the rub is applied after cooking the ribs. This results in a crispy end product with a nice contrast in flavors. Here’s how to make a Rendezvous-inspired rib rub:
- 4 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp powdered Garlic
- 2 Tbsp mild Chili Powder
- 1½ Tbsp ground Black Pepper
- 1½ Tbsp Coarse Salt
- 2 tsp whole Yellow Mustard Seed
- 1½ tsp crushed Celery Seed
- 1½ tsp whole Celery Seed
- 1½ tsp dried crushed Oregano
- 1½ tsp dried crushed Thyme
- 1½ tsp whole Allspice seeds
- ½ tsp ground Allspice
- 1½ tsp whole Coriander Seed
- ½ tsp ground Coriander
Mix the ingredients, then give the ribs a good coating on both sides.
Slice and enjoy!
Exclusive Pitmaster Deals
Latest posts by White Thunder BBQ (see all)
- How To Smoke Any Cheese At Home (Cold Smoked Cheese) - January 11, 2019
- Coffee Rubbed Brisket Recipe (For Rich Deep Beef Flavors) - November 10, 2018
- Spicy Beef Jerky: Homemade Beef Jerky Recipe - October 24, 2018